Thursday, December 13, 2012

Angry Orchard Hard Cider Review

I was recently contacted by Angry Orchard and offered the opportunity to try their product line. All my friends rave about this stuff so I was excited to give it a try. Unfortunately around the same time I received the sample I started having issues with my gallbladder and the doctor restricted me from all alcohol. Rather than let it go to waste, I let a co-worker and self proclaimed "tasty beverage connoisseur" have the honor of guinea pig and product reviewer.


Image courtesy of Angry Orchard


Angry Orchard just happens to be made by the fine folks at Boston Beer Company (the makers of Samuel Adams) and are naturally gluten free to boot! Their cider apples are specifically grown for cider-making and hand-selected for every batch. Cider apples are traditionally tart and bittersweet, often being described as "angry" - hence the name.  They vary in between 5% and 5.5% ABV and each bottle is around 200 calories.

As previously stated, I passed my 6 pack sampler onto my co-worker Steve and after a week of taste testing this is his (full, complete, and unedited) review:


Recently I was asked to try a few bottles of beer by a co-worker. I didn’t know whether I should be happy or slightly offended. I’m not an alcoholic but I am a beer enthusiast (I guess that’s what they call it now a days). Either way I enthusiastically agreed to be the taste tester and Angry Orchard Hard Cider is the flavor of the day!

            Angry Orchard has a rich history in Europe and in the United States. In Colonial times hard cider was the flavor of choice.  Like most beers, the process to make the different flavors of the hard cider is very complex, however, each flavor includes one very simple ingredient- Apples. I don’t know about you but I’m a sucker for apples.  When I was a kid anything with apples in it was pretty much the best thing ever. Apple juice, apple pie (McDonalds), apples and peanut butter; thus, Angry Orchard’s use of the apple is pretty genius.  In the 6 pack I received there were 3 different flavors to experience; Crisp Apple, Traditional Dry, and Apple Ginger. Each of these flavors offer a significantly different taste that would complement any beer enthusiast’s palette or introduce non beer drinkers to a great alternative to keep the party going.

            The Crisp apple flavor literally tastes like Apple Cider fresh from grandma’s own home brew. I’ve had my fair share of flavored beers ranging from pumpkin to strawberry but usually there’s a bit of a hoppy flavor. Angry Orchard’s Crisp Apple is very smooth with no hops flavor at all. This would be the perfect choice for anyone who doesn’t drink beer. You get the entire apple cider flavor with no kick from hops flavor.  The reason why there’s no hops flavor is because the master brewers at Angry Orchard don’t use hops. They let the flavors ferment over time and let the flavors infuse into themselves. It’s pure genius.

            The next flavor in the pack is called Traditional Dry. The Traditional Dry flavor is reminiscent of Old English brews. This flavor boasts a whopping 10 apple concoction infused with cinnamon and spices that gives it a spicy kick. This flavor is perfect for your Holiday dinner party.  It’s dry on flavor not as much juice as the Crisp Apple or Apple Ginger flavors but that’s ok a bite of a good steak or even a pork lion or roast would compliment this flavor just right.

            The last flavor is called Apple Ginger. This flavor is for the wine enthusiasts that love wine flavors such as Moscato or traditional white wines. There’s a slightly tart after taste due to the added ginger spice.  This flavor still goes down smooth. It’s a good middle of the road flavor in comparison to the Crisp Apple and Traditional Dry. It’s sweet like the Crisp Apple but has the spiciness and uses less apple juices to make of the flavor. As a matter of fact, this brew includes some aged wine included in its brewing process. It’s a very complex flavor and the only thing I have to say is that you have to try it for yourself.

I guess I like being a taste tester especially when it comes to flavorful beers. Angry Orchard offers great flavors for your self-proclaimed beer enthusiasts (like me) or the casual beer drinker who likes smooth sweet flavors. Even if you’ve never tasted beer in your life Angry Orchard would be the perfect place to start.  You get a sweet flavors and spices with a kick! No hops and no carbonation like other hard drinks on the market.
 
 
Image courtesy of Angry Orchard


Now the one thing Steve didn't mention was how great these guys mix with other spirits to create unique and tasty cocktails. You can find the entire list here.

 To learn more about Angry Orchard,
visit the orchard at: www.AngryOrchard.com
and on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/AngryOrchard.
 
Please drink responsibly. Don't drink and drive. Must be over 21 to indulge.
 
**Review disclaimer - I was given a free 6 pack sampler to try and give an honest opinion about. I was not compensated in any way. The review was not altered in form to show favor towards the product**

 

1 comment:

  1. Do they use hops in there ciders? I understand the hopncider breweries but what about the rest? I have a severe allergy to hops that's why I ask.

    ReplyDelete